You know you're in for it when your husband hollers out in pain, you call down to him to see if he is okay, and he responds with a painful, "no." Usually when Jon hollers out in pain and I ask him if he is okay, he says with a grunt, "yes," so on Saturday when Jon responded with a "no," my heart skipped a few beats.
I was upstairs using the bathroom and enjoying my few moments of peace when I heard a loud bang followed by a loud "AHH!" "Are you okay?" I asked expecting the usual grunted yes answer when to my surprise, Jon said, "no." I ran down the stairs as quickly as I could (or should I say I wanted to run, but my pregnant old body just doesn't always do what I want it to do:)) and I found blood splattered on Jon's leg, pants, and the floor. I looked down at his foot to find his toe covered in blood and resting in a pool of blood.
I tried not to panic, but my mind started to go a little hazy. I got some paper towels and started cleaning up the mess. Isaac was good to stay out of the blood and Avery and Anson were outside playing in the water. I asked him what happened and he informed me that he was trying to move the big exersaucer toy off the cedar chest, but it caught hold of the big metal TV holder for our new armoire. The metal holder fell down and sliced his toe. (I don't know why we had a big exersaucer toy sitting atop of a metal TV holder which was sitting atop of folded boxes all on top of the cedar chest, but I guess when you are packing the house, you don't always think too clearly when setting things down.)
I called our friend from the ward (who is finishing up his first year of residency), and he came over to see if he could stitch it up for us. He took one look at Jon's toe and said, "I'm not even going to touch that. You've sliced right through matrix of the toenail and you might never get that toenail back. You better go to the ER and have someone more qualified take a look." So I gathered the boys in for a quick shower and then we took Jon to the ER. We dropped him off and came home to eat some dinner (poor guy had to sit at the hospital all by himself). He called a little later to let us know they took some X-rays because they were worried he may have broken a bone, but the X-rays showed everything looked good. They stitched him up (one stitch right through the toenail--OUCH!) and sent him home.
Now he still gets as much done as he ever did, he just has to do it while evading the boys during their new favorite game--let's see how many times we can step on dad's toe:)
One more "woe" and we better watch out!:)


7 comments:
have you noticed these "woes" seem to happen whenever you are in the bathroom? Oh wait, you are 9 months pregnant - you are in the bathroom most of the time!
watch out you guys - no more woes!
How sad, but very disgusting! Good job at holding it all together, I would hope that I would be able to do the same, but I'm not too confident about that!
Oh man! That looks soooo painful!!! There is nothing like having something that really, really hurts with kids around. I have no idea how they know exactly where to jump, kick, or roll, but they know.
I hope it gets better soon!
Gross pictures! Poor Jon, glad nothing's broken!
So sad! Glad that he is okay and that he is back to being busy!
Quite the picture! Poor Jon, you guys didn't need something else right now. How's the pregnancy? I keep checking for a post about a new Beck baby!
I know exactly what you are talking about when they yell that way - Dale always says "Oh no, oh no" and I know he has hurt himself. This past week he knocked his front tooth out - luckly it was bonded back in place and should be okay. Hope Jon doesn't lose that toe - he can join Dale in the "stubs club".
Post a Comment