So, we have decided that we like to make holidays at least a week long thing. Christmas this year lasted about a month (we asked Santa to come early to our house before we left for Utah, and since both our parents live in Utah, the boys had a few different Christmases between parties, reunions, and what not), and we tend to use birthdays as an excuse to do more during the week than we probably would do otherwise. Anyway, Jon was going to be gone for my birthday to go close on our house and to start fixing things up, so of course we had to celebrate early:)
We went to the Detroit Zoo last week on Thursday, and our Boonshoft pass was of no value (we thought we would at least get half off), so this adventure quickly turned into an outing for mom's birthday. On Friday we were suppose to go on a date, but our friends who we swap with were sick, so we just ate Outback carryout after the kids (well at least Anson and Isaac) were in bed. Of course, this was one of my "birthday" dinners (thanks to my mom for steering me in the right direction during our family Christmas party--she led me to a very nice Outback gift card). We went to the temple on Saturday, and afterwards we went to Lowes to get paint brushes and to look at fences, and of course we can't drive past a Costco without stopping (Anson loves going to Costco and getting LOTS of food). We also went to Michael's craft store because Jon wanted to get one of my presents there. They did not have what he was looking for at their store, and since he had a half off any item in the store, he asked our home teacher and his wife to come listen for our kids that night while we went on a date. They graciously agreed, and we went to the Michael's craft store by our home, and he bought me a laminater; I am so excited to put it to use. Afterwards we went to Cold Stone to claim my free birthday ice cream. On Sunday, the kids in primary sang to me and the other birthdayers for this week (I team teach the CTR 5 class). On Monday, we really did the birthday celebration with a nice walk to the park in the morning, going to Target, and an afternoon off while Jon and the two older boys made dinner and cleaned up (I had Isaac, but it's a piece of cake to take just one:)). Jon made homemade rolls (he has become a very good roll/cinnamon roll maker) and black chicken. For home evening, all the boys said something they loved about mom, and for dessert we of course had some very good strawberry shortcake.
Jon left early Tuesday morning to go to Virginia to close on our home Wednesday at noon--my biggest gift of all:) I can't believe we are homeowners now. I am very excited and anxious to move in. I feel very grateful and blessed for this wonderful gift. There is no way we would be in a home right now without my mom's social security, so I want to thank them profusely for sharing so generously with their children:) I am sure many are wondering how in the world a dental student with four kids can get into a home (in fact, many have asked how we are doing it), and all I can say is that we are in a very unique situation and hope to someday be able to put others in a very unique situation as well.
Jon has been working hard to get the painting done, and is finding it to be a much longer process than we thought. Thank you, honey, for all of your hard work. How many people would be willing to spend a week alone to work on a house? Okay, I guess if the alternative is to stay home with three young kids, maybe anyone might jump at the chance:) Just kidding. He has a lot of work to do and is my hero always and forever. He is the most selfless person I know, and he is taking all my requests very well. He always aims to please me, and never fails. What a man!
Today was my actual birthday. We went to the Toledo Zoo with some of our friends from the ward. We all have three kids four and under, and two of us are pregnant with our fourth. It was fun, but I was pretty tired and hot by the end. When I went to put Isaac in his car seat, I found Avery and Anson scratching our van with their fingernails. I was not too happy, and I think it probably showed a little too much (I have already asked Anson not to scratch the cars with his fingernails, but it is easy for two year olds to forget:). Hopefully they now understand that that is not a good idea. When we got home, it was almost time for dinner. I was thinking I would not give the boys a shower tonight since I have given them one every night this week, but they had other plans. Our friends, Yu and Sophia, stopped by to give me a gift. Anson was in his underwear and Isaac wanted to get his clothes changed too, so I took off the clothes he was wearing while I talked with Yu and Sophia. I walked them out when they left, and my friend, Jan, walked by. She stopped to visit for a minute, and the boys ceased the moment. Isaac decided to do a front head spring down the concrete steps, and while I soothed him, Anson ran out to the sand box in nothing but his underwear. After Isaac calmed down, he wanted to play in the sand, too. So there were my three boys head deep in sand and two of the three were in nothing but loin cloths. There went the idea of no shower tonight. I let them play in the sand box for a while (I made Anson put on some clothes) until Avery decided to shove Isaac and end play time.
After their shower, we ate dinner and cleaned up the house. As we finished cleaning, mom and dad Beck called to wish me a happy birthday. Avery decided to take over Jon's role of leading wrestle time while I tried to talk. It did not go so well, and my phone call lasted about two and a half minutes. Avery was having a hard time listening all night, and he eventually went to bed without stories (the final straw was when he decided to take a huge bite of Isaac's sucker after Isaac had been so good to share and Avery had already been told not to bite the sucker). He cried very loudly the whole time I read stories to Anson and Isaac and did not stop until I was done getting the other two ready for bed and he was threatened with losing his songs as well.
Anson had a hard time when I told him I needed to take Isaac to bed. He cried and said, "I don't want you to take Isaac to bed. I don't want Isaac to go to bed." I informed him that I take Isaac to bed every night and it was time for him to go to bed. I told him he could look at a book quietly while I took Isaac to bed and when I was done I would read it to him, or he could cry the whole time and have to go straight to bed. He chose to follow me upstairs to Isaac's room where he cried the whole time I got Isaac to bed. Needless to say, he did not get his other story, and he was very ready for bed.
I sang songs to Avery and Anson once they settled down and said their prayers, and while I was singing, Isaac woke up. He had a very hard time going to bed and just wanted to snuggle. I must admit, it was fun to rock him while he cuddled up, but it did make bedtime extra long. He finally settled down at 9:20. It was kind of a long day and evening, but we made it:)
This concludes the longest blog I have ever written and hopefully the longest blog I will ever write:)
4 comments:
Well I'm glad you got to have a good celebration BEFORE your birthday because the day sounds pretty hectic. You are an awesome mom and wife. I really admire you!
Happy Birthday Alicia, we thought about you! Your boys seem to be growing so fast. We miss not seeing it.
love ya!
Happy Birthday! Sounds like you're a very busy mom. And it's good that your husband is wonderful to you, you deserve it! And congrats on the house :)
I am glad someone else is a "mean mom" which my kids accuse me of on a regular basis! What a crazy day, but your husband and boys are so sweet and it sounds like you guys know how to party. Good luck on the house, it does get better!
Post a Comment