Welcome to the Beck Family Blog where the stories get better and better every time--that is the kids never miss a beat and are always having adventures of some sort. Come join our fun as you experience our grand adventures vicariously through our blog. Enjoy!

Monday, February 4, 2008

Sharing The Gospel

I was so excited to learn that President Thomas S. Monson is our Prophet, Seer, and Revelator; along with his counselors Henry B. Eyring, and Dieter F. Uchtdorf.  What a lineup:)  I love these men, and I know the church will move forward with great strength.  Avery was very excited that our prophet has his name (or should I say Avery has our prophet's name in his).

Tonight for family home evening, we discussed the fifth article of faith (we have been trying to learn a new article of faith each month for the last five months).  This article brings new meaning to me now that I am a mother of three boys.  What a wonderful and sacred responsibility they have and will have "to preach the Gospel and to administer in the ordinances thereof."  What a wonderful opportunity I have to help them desire to learn the gospel, live the gospel, love the gospel, and want to share the gospel with anyone and everyone.  To help them be confident in who they are that they will want to stand for truth at all times; That they will want to show and tell others (throughout their lives) that they are the way they are and do the things they do because they love their Savior, Jesus Christ, and want to live with him and our Heavenly Father again someday.

Jon is the ward mission leader, and this last Sunday he taught the lesson in Elder's Quorum about how we as parents have a responsibility to help our kids be missionaries not just to help them want to go on a mission.  He used Elder Bednar's talk from the October 2005 general conference titled "Becoming a Missionary." You can read it at http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=9a2e78de9441c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1

I know that the only way we can instill confidence in our children and a desire to share the gospel is to give them experiences (allowing for much practice) throughout their lives.  And the only way to do this is for us to be confident and bold in our testimonies as we willingly and regularly share the gospel with others, while including our children in the process.  Jon says it much better than I can, but I do have a very strong testimony that we are all missionaries.  Our words and actions make a difference.  How will others know what they are missing and what they could have if we are not willing to share?  I have not been very good at this throughout my life, and I hope I can become much better, if only for my children's sakes.

5 comments:

Jennie Minor said...

you have always been an example to everyone! I know that I alway looked up to you!
Your articles of faith idea is something that I am going to have to steal and use for our family home evening. Truman is going to be turning 8 and getting baptized.

It hit me the other day that I was a mother and going to be a mother again and its my responsibility to teach my children the gospel and that the Lord will hold me accountable if I fail to do my duty. I pray with all my heart that I will step up to this great challenge and be the best mother and wife to my children and husband!

Anonymous said...

Alicia, you are so cute. I just checked out your blog and LOVE IT! Congrats on the cute christmas card. That is so exciting. July 2008 huh? That is AWESOME! :) I love your guts and am glad I got to snoop around your blog! Thanks for all you have done for me. You are the best!
*Katie* BKSouthwick.blogspot.com

Vanessa, Zac and Noah said...

Your family exemplifies living and sharing the gospel! I was teaching in Relief Society a few weeks ago on this topic and read a quote about the great importance and responsibility we have has parents to instill a desire in our children to serve as good and faithful missionaries....I thought...oh no, I only have 18.5 years!!! Better get crackin! Anyways, so fun to read all your latest and know we LOVE the Bech family!!!

Vanessa, Zac and Noah said...

that was Beck family...oops!:)

Jill said...

I feel the same way. I don't know why it's such a scary thing to talk about the church with people. But about kids, I haven't been able to stop thinking about my boys being missionaries since I heard a young mom in sacrament meeting call her two little boys her investigators. I have the most important missionary work to do in my own home every day. It's scary.